For Easter, I was invited to a traditional French meal by my friends Rémi and Vard at their house in Antibes, which is a very small city about an hour from Nice by train. Rémi's parents and sister were also there to help celebrate. To get acquainted with everyone, in the first picture it is Rémi, his mother, Vard, Rémi's father, and me from left to right. Rémi's sister is sitting next to me in the pictures below.
The French usually take their biggest meal between noon and 2PM, but on special occasions and holidays they often enjoy a 4-5 hour meal at midday consisting of multiple courses. This particular Easter meal was one of the 4-5 hour ones. Luckily, even though it had rained on the train ride there, it was sunny and comfortable all afternoon without even much wind so we were able to eat outside in the garden. Here is what we ate:
HORS D'ŒUVRES
saucisson sec (salami-like sausage),
de fromage (some cheese),
with some rosé
L'ENTRÉE
foie gras pâté on bread
and some buns Vard had cooked up.
with the traditional sweet wine drunk with foie gras called sauternes. It is bright yellow and tastes like brown sugar. It originated when the first vintner returned home late from a trip, but harvested his grapes anyway. Because they were extremely ripe they left a lot of sugar in the resulting wine and the rest is history.
LE PLAT
fried lamb steak
some more wine
LES DESSERTS
Rémi and Vard had bought some marshmallows, a chocolate bunny, and many different sweets.
some more wine
I am sure we ate more than this, but I cannot remember I was so full.
| Vard's Easter Eggs |
| Looking . . . |
| Victorious, son! |
It was a great day and I eventually returned the favor by inviting Rémi and Vard to my meublé for homemade chili con carne and my amazing fresh guacamole (the French think guacamole is a pale green mystery that should be the color of vomit and the consistency of cream of wheat). I am trying to catch up on all my blogging so next time I'll share Carnaval. Au revoir.
No comments:
Post a Comment