DAY TWO
THE LOUVRE
The next day it was still raining and cold so I decided to stay inside museums all day. I intended to do both the Louvre and the Musée d'Orsay, the two biggest and most famous of them, but the Louvre is so vast it took me 5 hours to get through it. They have everything from halls full of paintings to Egyptian art to sculptures from all centuries and more. Here are some pictures of my favorite sights. Of course, I saw the Mona Lisa, but there is always a crowd of annoying people obsessed with it and snapping pictures so it's hard to get a good look. Not only that, a few years ago some crazy woman cut a hole in it with knife so now you can only get within 10 feet of it and its behind glass.
 |
The Pyramid designed by I. M. Pei (a Chinese-American)
outside the Louvre. You actually walk inside it to go into
the museum. |
 |
| Nike of Samothrace |
 |
To give you an idea, this is not an exhibit. This is just
what the museum looks like. |
 |
| Ooh! Aah! Ooh! Aah! |
 |
| This was just really big, that's all. |
 |
| These were really big. |
 |
| Big, again. |
 |
| From inside the Pyramid. |
There was a lot more to see, but if you want to see them you'll have to come to Paris yourself. Unfortunately, I took so long here that by the time I ran across the river to the Musée d'Orsay it was closed and then it started to sleet/hail. I dived into the nearest restaurant and tried to get some French cuisine. I ordered bœuf bourguignon, French onion soup (duh!), and crème brûlée. That's it. That's all I did. It was too frickin' cold, man.
Stay tuned for the final installment . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment